Manager, Social Events
The Manager, Social Events assumes a lead or support position for all corporate/association social event programs assigned after the sale has been completed by the Salesperson, ensuring events are completed in a timely fashion and within contracted scope and budget. They plan and designate project resources, prepare budgets, monitor progress, and keep internal and external stakeholders informed throughout the planning process to ensure the client vision and needs are clearly communicated and executed. The Manager, Social Events also supervises Social Events team members.
This is a full-time, salary, bonus-eligible, hybrid position. Work locations will include independent remote/work from home, team office work in Burnsville, MN, and on-site event work (both within the Twin Cities and domestically/internationally, including overnight travel). This position is a senior-level position requiring a minimum of 5 years of meetings, events, hospitality, or other applicable experience and 2 years of supervisory experience.
Position responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Work collaboratively with all service teams within metroConnections.
- Participate in all aspects of metroConnections where appropriate/when assigned.
- Maintain general knowledge of all service areas of metroConnections.
- Contribute to process improvement and efficiency efforts, partnering with all leaders throughout the company.
- Develop streamlined processes.
- Develop concise and effective internal resources.
- Train and provide continuous mentorship to direct reports, during pre-planning and on-site execution.
- Educate internal team members on the Social Event team’s service offerings, capabilities, and structure.
- Develop new and enhance existing internal processes related to social events.
- Supervise/Oversee the Social Events team members on the Program Management team.
- Schedule and lead team meetings.
- Participate in one-on-one sessions with direct reports.
- Train and provide continuous mentorship to direct reports.
- Approve time off, bonuses, and expenses for direct reports.
- Lead 90-day and annual performance review process for direct reports.
- Collaborate with Human Resources team for performance or conduct issues related to direct reports.
- Determine hiring/termination/job change requirements and collaborate with Human Resources team throughout the onboarding/offboarding/job change process.
- Understand metroConnections’ policies and code of conduct to effectively manage direct reports.
- Keep Human Resources team informed of incidents (emergency, non-emergency, leaves of absence needs, etc.) so appropriate and timely action can be taken.
- Participate in quarterly leadership meetings; recommend topics that lead to the mission and objectives of metroConnections.
- Support or lead culture initiatives; team outings, etc.
- Manage large scale programs and key accounts with efficiency and ease.
- Lead Resource Planning/Scheduling/Troubleshooting.
- Assign sold social events services to direct reports with the goal of maximizing internal resource efficiencies and maintaining balance for direct reports.
- Prioritize and assign special projects to direct reports.
- Collaborate with other leaders/supervisors for cross-department resource sharing and freelance resource needs.
- Serve as lead social event representative for assigned programs to clients, vendors, the Sales Manager, and other service teams.
- Lead the Project Hand-Off Phase from the Event Sales Team once project is assigned by the Manager, Social Events following established processes:
- Define roles and tasks when a support person is assigned on projects.
- Oversee and maintain awareness of the project to ensure the project is on task.
- Serve as lead social event representative to clients, the Sales Manager, and other service teams.
- Schedule meetings with Sales Manager to review project.
- Confirm and update project entries in inventory system (Flex Rentals).
- Communicate with Operations Team.
- Budget by inputting estimated costs into profit sheet.
- Lead the Coordination Phase for assigned projects, following established processes:
- Oversee and maintain awareness of the social event logistics to ensure the project is on task and budget.
- Communicate and coordinate with internal teams: Operations, Shop, Design, Sales, etc.
- Correspond with vendors – check availability/options, negotiate rates, book services, etc.
- Correspond with venue/event site contacts – logistics planning, scheduling, etc.
- Correspond with clients – finalize details and logistics during planning process.
- Coordinate financial details with Accounting Team: accounts receivable, accounts payable, etc.
- Coordinate on-site staffing needs.
- Design or refine existing event layouts.
- Create and share on-site schedules/event overviews for social events.
- Create, format, and save all project documents in program folder throughout planning process.
- Arrange and lead site visits at event sites when, specifically, a social event.
- Shop for/order social event supplies.
- Pull and sort event supplies for truck loads.
- Program work as Branding/Graphics Lead on the planning teams with print graphic needs, when assigned.
- On-Site support or management during the On-Site Execution Phase of assigned projects:
- Oversee and maintain awareness of the social event/signage needs to ensure the project is on task.
- Manage and direct social event vendors.
- Manage and direct setting up and tearing down of décor and other inventory items.
- Trouble-shoot throughout on-site execution phase.
- Take photos of event setups.
- Lead the Post-Event Follow-Up Phase of assigned projects:
- Put items away in warehouse.
- Inventory new items for storage/update existing inventory details.
- Upload, save, and share event photos.
- Compile and share debrief notes.
- Communicate updates and learning experiences to internal teams.
- Finalize financial details with Accounting Team: accounts receivable, accounts payable, etc.
- Close project within 60 days of event.
Minimum qualifications include:
- 5-years meetings, events, hospitality, or other applicable experience.
- 2- Years Management of employees or a team
- Excel in written and verbal communication (English is the primary language).
- Exhibit strong computer skills; proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Provide excellent customer service via email, the phone, in virtual meetings, and in-person.
- Ability to learn quickly.
- Multi-task efficiently while maintaining big-picture thinking.
- Work independently to come up with viable solutions.
- Work successfully with many different types of personalities.
- Work well with a team – both as the lead and in a support role.
- Take direction from multiple managers or team members, as well as having a good understanding of with whom to advise/consult in the event of conflicting instruction.
- Possess strong leadership skills and an outgoing personality.
- Manage stress successfully: adapt to change, trouble-shoot, and make decisions while maintaining a calm demeanor.
- Ability to work successfully with many different types of personalities
- Ability to maintain a cheerful and positive attitude.
- Maintain a presentable appearance as many work functions are performed in or adjacent to a corporate atmosphere.
- Ability to be on your feet for long periods of time.
- Ability to lift 40 lbs.
- Access to reliable transportation.
- Ability to travel up to 25%.
- Ability to work evenings and weekends, based on project needs.
Preferred qualifications include:
- Third-party corporate agency experience.
- Degree in Hospitality, Tourism, Event Management, Marketing, Public Relations, or related.
Benefits Package Highlights:
- Comp Time for on-site program hours worked over 40
- Overnight Program Travel Bonuses – $50.00 per night for overnight program travel
- Paid Time Off – Starting with 15 PTO Days
- Paid Holidays – 9.5 Days Annually, including Employee-Owner Appreciation Day (first Friday of March)
- Summer Fridays – Reduced Business Hours on Fridays during Summer Months
- Employee-Owned – Employee Stock Ownership Plan – Retirement Plan 100% funded by the company
- 401(k) Retirement Plan with company match
- Medical and Dental Insurance – 50% company paid
- Options for Voluntary Disability Insurance, Voluntary Vision Insurance, Voluntary Life and AD&D Insurance
- Parental Leave – 10 Days Paid
- Bereavement – Up to 5 Days Paid per occurrence
- Annual Uniform Allowance
- Monthly Cell Phone Reimbursement
Please send your resume and rate requirement to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.
metroConnections is proudly employee owned and operated. An employee stock ownership plan (ESOP) is an employee benefit plan that gives workers ownership interest in the company.
Equal Opportunity is metroConnections, Inc.’s policy. We are committed to policies of non-discrimination to promote diversity in employment regardless of race, sex, parental or marital status, age, religion, sexual orientation, disability or any other criteria not specifically related to relevant aptitudes, potential, skills, and abilities.
We value the diversity in society and the diversity amongst our employees, and we believe that by successfully managing this diversity, we can gain from it and become a more effective business. If you are excited about this opportunity but your past experience does not align perfectly with the qualifications, we encourage you to apply anyway. This or another opportunity may end up being a great fit for you!
metroConnections is committed to providing access, equal opportunity and reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities in employment, its services, programs and activities. To request reasonable accommodation, contact metroConnections’ Human Resources team at 612.333.8687.