Scenic Carpenter and Fabricator
Scenic Carpenter / Fabricator will participate in the concepting and execution of custom build and refurbish projects. They ensure their projects are completed in a timely fashion and within contracted scope and budget and they support efforts to maintain a clean and safe shop.
This is a full-time, hourly position. The primary work location is a shop/warehouse environment located in Burnsville, MN with occasional work at event sites.
Position Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Work collaboratively with all service teams within metroConnections.
- Participate in all aspects of metroConnections where appropriate/when assigned.
- Serve as support or lead builder / shop fabricator for assigned projects.
- Serve as support or lead on projects involving our CNC Router.
- Support the Shop Foreman during the concepting phase of projects: research potential options (materials, techniques), participate in creative brainstorming sessions with metroConnections team members.
- Support or Lead the Project Hand-Off Phase from the Sales Team: participate in internal team meetings to understand project scope, budgets, and timelines prior to executing new builds/projects.
- Support or Lead the Execution/Build Phase for assigned projects: follow specifications of project to build it from start-to-finish, collaborate with Shop Foreman to determine appropriate tools (to include power tools) and materials to safely execute the build project, communicate with internal teams and external partners while keeping information about the project on track, provide status updates to build project stakeholders. While many projects are new builds, some projects may require refurbishing existing inventory items.
- Support efforts to maintain a clean and safe shop: maintain equipment and inventory, communicate learning experiences to internal teams, learn and teach new techniques to other shop employees.
- Support or Lead the On-Site Installation and Dismantle Phase of assigned projects, when the fabricator’s expertise is required. On-site responsibilities are held primarily within the metro area; however, occasional travel within/outside of Minnesota is possible.
Minimum Qualifications include:
- Ability to lead and support in the manufacture of wooden and alternate material for custom build projects.
- Ability to understand measurements and interpret 2d and 3d build plans and cut sheets.
- Be able to operate industrial power/Hand Tools to a high standard
- An understanding of the different types of materials and sizing e.g., Plywood / MDF sheets, laminates, high-end venneers, metals, aluminum and print substrates.
- CNC operating experience a plus (willingness to learn if not familiar)
- Computer knowledge specially with V Carve and Vectorworks a plus.
- The ideal candidate may have theatrical scenic, prop, store fixture, or other design and build experience.
- Multicraft Build Experience preferred in the following disciplines: cabinetry, laminate work, finishing work (paint booth), aluminum and/or steel welding, rigging, CNC work.
- Ability to learn and teach new techniques in a collaborative environment.
- Possess creative/artistic abilities.
- Excel in written and verbal communication (English is the primary language).
- Ability to take direction and work independently.
- Exhibit strong attention to detail.
- Multi-task efficiently while maintaining big-picture thinking.
- Manage stress successfully: adapt to change, trouble-shoot, and make decisions while maintaining a calm demeanor.
- Maintain a cheerful and positive attitude.
- Ability to be on your feet for long periods of time.
- Ability to lift 70 lbs.
- Access to reliable transportation.
Please submit a portfolio of previous fabrication work.
Benefits Package Highlights:
- Paid Time Off – Starting with 15 PTO Days
- Paid Holidays – 9.5 Days Annually, including Employee-Owner Appreciation Day (first Friday of March)
- Employee-Owned – Employee Stock Ownership Plan – Retirement Plan 100% funded by the company
- 401(k) Retirement Plan with company match
- Medical and Dental Insurance – 50% company paid
- Options for Voluntary Disability Insurance, Voluntary Vision Insurance, Voluntary Life and AD&D Insurance
- Parental Leave – 10 Days Paid
- Bereavement – Up to 5 Days Paid per occurrence
- Annual Uniform Allowance
- Monthly Cell Phone Reimbursement
- Off-Hours Bonuses for work performed at event sites 10:00pm –7:00am: $10.00 per hour bonus paid in quarter hour increments
- Sunday Bonuses for work performed at event sites on Sundays: $25.00 flat bonus
Please send your resume and rate requirement to email@example.com. No phone calls please.
metroConnections is proudly employee owned and operated. An employee stock ownership plan (ESOP) is an employee benefit plan that gives workers ownership interest in the company.
Equal Opportunity is metroConnections, Inc.’s policy. We are committed to policies of non-discrimination to promote diversity in employment regardless of race, sex, parental or marital status, age, religion, sexual orientation, disability or any other criteria not specifically related to relevant aptitudes, potential, skills, and abilities.
We value the diversity in society and the diversity amongst our employees, and we believe that by successfully managing this diversity, we can gain from it and become a more effective business. If you are excited about this opportunity but your past experience does not align perfectly with the qualifications, we encourage you to apply anyway. This or another opportunity may end up being a great fit for you!
metroConnections is committed to providing access, equal opportunity and reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities in employment, its services, programs and activities. To request reasonable accommodation, contact metroConnections’ Human Resources team at 612.333.8687.